Few things can move us like a good story. Dr. Mark’s life story has been a tumultuous one, to be sure. But it is truly his privilege to share it with audiences— from small, local groups to large, national groups like the Phoenix Society World Burn Congress— to help them find inspiration, healing, and hope for a better tomorrow.
Dr. Mark understands the challenges associated with finding the right speaker for your event. He recalls sitting through hundreds of boring presentations in the medical world and promises to make every effort to add excitement to events, stimulating the audience’s curiosity and interest.
When he’s allowed the privilege to share his story at any event, he will focus on making it come alive for participants. He wants those in attendance to be encouraged by sentiments of positivity regardless of the battles or challenges they may be facing in life.
The following considerations include Dr. Mark’s own expectations of himself, which he commits to providing for event planners.
Here’s What You Can Expect from Dr. Mark:
- Prompt, professional replies to your phone calls and email messages.
- A personal phone consultation with Dr. Mark prior to your event, so he can better understand how to best serve you and your audience.
- An announcement about your event on his blog and social media channels. (This assumes that your event is open to the public and you want additional visibility for it.)
- A professionally prepared, dynamically delivered presentation focused on what you want to accomplish for your audience.
- A quick follow-up communication after the event, to make sure Dr. Mark has met your expectations. (He will also provide audiences with an evaluation form through which attendees can provide feedback or helpful suggestions for improvement.)
A Little about Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark knows that life can be difficult sometimes. He has known his fair share of the physical and emotional pain that accompanies a life associated with battling trauma and disease. More importantly, he is open and eager to share the resultant insights along with his testimony of the kind of faith that we all call upon when facing any of life’s painful trials and tribulations.
Dr. Mark survived Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a disease in which the body’s immune system attacks the myelin sheath (insulator) around peripheral nerves, causing progressive pain and weakness in the extremities.
The syndrome affected his respiratory muscles, requiring doctors to place him in an “iron lung” to prevent fatal respiratory failure—at the age of 5.
The summer before his 17th birthday, he awoke in the middle of the night to find his family’s two-story home engulfed in flames.
After helping his three younger brothers escape to safety, he tried in vain to save his mother and youngest brother.
He nearly lost his own life in the process and was unconscious from immense pain and smoke inhalation when firefighters found him lying in a fetal position. He had extensive burns over 60% of his body.
He survived that day by the Grace of God. He ultimately endured over 30 agonizing skin-grafting and reconstructive surgical procedures. With the undying help of medical professionals, he persevered through grueling physical therapy sessions to learn to walk again. He labored through countless hours of occupational therapy until he could use his reconstructed hands that had otherwise been rendered nearly useless by fire damage.
No days passed without him suffering debilitating pain prompting him to think of quitting—not one.
But fortunately, he refused to be defined by these painful experiences.
As others have said, it wasn’t the number of times he fell in as many battles, it was the number of times he got back up to face those battles again.
Facing many trials and tribulations, he began to reconnect with his core values and belief systems. Through his faith in God, empowered by his near death experience (NDE), and with the courage of his resultant convictions, he came through to the other side of those tragedies—and more— to the additional life challenges that would follow—to restore harmony to body, mind, and spirit.
Mark first became a physical therapist, helping with—not surprisingly—the rehabilitation of burn and trauma survivors, as well as those facing debilitating disease. Later he became a medical doctor, earning his M.D. from Case Western Reserve University, one of the premier medical schools in the nation. Finally, following residency in general surgery at the University of South Florida and plastic surgery at Vanderbilt University, he became a plastic and reconstructive surgeon with a practice in Orlando, Florida, where he lives now.
Recently, Dr. Mark stepped back from active practice, though he still volunteers at local clinics, to focus on telling his story and helping survivors find healing for today and hope for tomorrow.
Dr. Mark’s Most Requested Topics
Some of the most requested speaking topics by Dr. Mark include the following:
- Out of These Ashes: The True Story of A “Burning Desire” to Live Again
- Health Care Help: What Patients Need to Know to Navigate Modern Medical Care
- Beyond the Pain: How to Find Healing in the Midst of Physical and Emotional Agony
- How to Communicate with Survivors of Tragedies
- What Every Survivor Wishes Every Doctor Knew
- Where is God When Life Hurts?
- How Faith Helps with Healing Body and Soul
The Next Step
Thanks again for considering Dr. Mark as a speaker for your event. Take the next step by checking availability. Just click on the button below and Dr. Mark will get back to you right away.